Senior Regional Counsel - Team Lead/ Manager
• Providing all business and legal affairs support required by the business and corporate functions across the covered countries. This includes being a trusted and key advisor to the business - delivering first-hand and professional business and legal affairs support on matters of key strategic, financial and reputational importance to the business.
• The role will work closely with the Internal Audit department to manage, improve and control all legal activities to ensure compliance with all relevant laws and regulatory requirements in Asia Pacific in general and in the covered countries in particular.
1. Provide prompt legal advice and services in an efficient, value-added and approachable manner in alignment with customer priorities established by the Regional Management Team which includes (amongst others):
• Draft, review and negotiate distribution, resale and vendor/supplier contracts;
• Review, draft and manage licenses / sales contracts on a daily basis in accordance with company policies and risk tolerance;
• Respond promptly to legal requests from internal clients across functional groups, summarizing and communicating legal concepts that business people can understand and apply;
• Advise on legal issues and risks related to compliance (e.g. around anti-bribery and data privacy), approval processes, company policies and procedures, IP and business strategy;
• Advise on labour-related matters;
• Identify and address risks and issues in the daily business operations to ensure a consistent Epson position in a manner consistent with the internal processes;
• Mitigate risk while fully appreciating the commercial opportunity presented by the transaction;
• Advise on IP and other issues related to brand protection;
• Educate the internal team as well as external business partners to ensure that they have the required understanding of, and ownership interest in, the various risks related to the business. Provide prompt legal advice and services in an efficient, value-added and approachable manner in alignment with customer priorities established by the Regional Management Team which includes (amongst others):
2. Provide corporate governance in an effective and efficient manner while meeting legal and statutory requirements as governed by the relevant law, including (among others):
• Ensure all corporate filings are made accurately and on time;
• Report company activities effectively and in accordance with the local legal requirements;
• Act as a company representative for matters requiring legal support;
• Review and authorize all company legal activities related to audit, finance and legal requirements;
• Keep all lntercompany agreements up to date and in accordance with the local tax requirements of the entities.
3. Manage outside counsel spend on a matter-by-matter basis, and support Epson's indirect spends savings initiatives.
4. Provide effective guidance to the team members with adequate supervision to the work quality, approach and delivery timeline, as well as help create an inspiring team environment with an open communication culture.
Key Job Requirements
• Job / Skills Competencies
• Strong communication and presentation skills;
• Possess the highest professional and ethical standards;
• Experience in compliance programmes;
• A proven record of commercial awareness with high-quality contribution to business strategy and delivery;
• Proven track record as an effective and passionate team player within high performing cross-functional teams;
• Excellent negotiating and drafting skills;
• Possess technical excellence and a practical approach, with the ability to work professionally and under pressure to navigate through a complex organisation and providing accurate legal advice without losing sight of the business perspective;
• Strong organizational, project management and interpersonal skills;
• Clear communicator with a good ability to communicate complex issues in a clear and simple manner in both writing and in person.
• Critical Work Experience
• Prior experience in development, manufacture and sale of information equipment/ consumer products environment preferred
• PQE 10 -15 years at a law firm and as in-house counsel. A minimum bachelor's degree in Law (LLB) is required